What is the best way to decrease drag and increase fuel economy in aircraft?

Saturday, January 31, 2015

January Blog Post

This month for my Senior project I have mostly been working on how I am going to complete my independent component. I have gone searching for supplies and plans, but many are not turning out to be what I need them to be. I have purchased a bunch of balsa wood in hopes that I would be able to easily form it into the airfoil to create a wing. Turns out, it is much to hard to precisely cut this with the means I have at my availability. I also have come across a great many plans that I could use, but without an expensive laser cutter to cut out parts to scale, building an airplane from a schematic is very difficult. Precision is key. As a result, I have decided to purchase a kit that comes with the parts pre-laser cut, but requires a great deal of time to precisely connect and put together. I had hoped to build it completely from scratch, but because I knew nothing of working with this before hand, I am incapable of creating it as such. Making the craft fly is also going to be difficult, but if I can get a motor and hook it up right, it should be able to get off the ground with the right airfoil structure. (When complete I plan for it to look similar to this WW2 P52 mustang like below)

No comments:

Post a Comment