What is the best way to decrease drag and increase fuel economy in aircraft?

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

March Additional Blog Post

This month I came across a few interesting aircraft and spacecraft designs while researching. They do not directly relate to my EQ but they were very informative.
One of the aircraft I looked into is called Leading Edge Asynchronous Propeller Technology project (LEAPTech). Basically NASA has taken a wing and strapped 18 propellers onto it. Most aircraft only have one or two, or at the most four. By putting it on a carbon composite wing they hope to help produce more lift. Most of our current aircraft use the engines producing forward lift to in turn cause the airflow to produce lift on the wings. But with this, each of the propellers will directly blow air onto the wings to produce lift. Each individual propeller can also be adjusted to have a smooth and efficient fly experience. This technology will also allow aircraft to take off sooner because it will not need speed to get enough lift to get off and stay off the ground. Ultimately this aircraft has some strong hopes for the aircraft industry and I may look into it more for my senior project as it has some fuel-efficiency benefits. I'll definitely keep my eye on its development as it is only in the ground testing stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment