What is the best way to decrease drag and increase fuel economy in aircraft?

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Blog 5 - Mentorship Reflection

1. Mentorship question: Describe your experience in how you found your mentorship? If you haven't found one yet, describe your experience so far in the search of a mentor.

     Well, I have basically found a mentor, but am still going to continue searching for one. I have not logged any hours outside of summer, however, so I have been searching. My experience in looking for one has kind of been awkward. One JPL engineer I had called and emailed talked to me up to the point where he wanted my academic resume, I sent it and never heard from him again. This kind of thing has happened a few times and is kind of frustrating, but understandable. My mom has been a big help in this because she has made so many contacts over the years. Her friend's have put me into contact with the NASA site I did my summer mentorship at and have given me a few leads as of late.

2. Research question: What has been your most important article you have read so far and why?

I think the most important article I read so far was one titled "Atmospheric Flight" straight from the NASA website. This article basically introduced me to the basics of airplane and airplane design. It gave me the information I needed to root my essential question in fuel conservation because it introduced me to the concepts of drag, and how it effects an aircraft. My core understanding of lift and how wings make planes flyable also came mostly from reading this article all the way through. Ultimately, it just gave the basic information I needed to understand aerospace engineering a little deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment